What makes Aurora Midwifery so amazing? There are so many midwives in the Birmingham area, how do I know which one is right for me? I am so impressed with Aurora Midwifery on a number of different levels and I’m going to take a minute to show you just what makes them so special. Not only do I have some observations of my own but I also had a chance to ask Hamilton, one of the midwives at Aurora Midwifery, some questions. She answered so thoroughly I am going to be releasing a second blog post soon with the remaining questions from Hamilton and Aurora Midwifery!
Aurora Midwifery | Active Ongoing Q&A
Did you know that you can ask a question to Aurora Midwifery directly on her website and she will answer it on her instagram? What an amazing way to connect with your community. I know when I was having my first the internet wasn’t nearly what it is today and I would have loved to have access to a midwife to ask all the questions. As good as an FAQ page can be, I seem to always have a question that’s not answered in them! And honestly, sometimes a phone call or email feels like a big commitment.
Aurora Midwifery | Holistic Approach
As I get older, I find that I am being drawn more and more to the natural side of healthcare. If you had asked me several years ago whether or not I would describe myself as “crunchy” I probably would have said no. Today? Maybe! Aurora Midwifery is dedicated to approaching your birth from a holistic perspective. This means more than just using herbs and avoiding medical intervention. It means listening to your body as a whole. Think of it as “whole-istic”. If you look up the word Holistic in the dictionary it states: “relating to or concerned with wholes or with complete systems rather than with the analysis of, treatment of, or dissection into parts”. If you take a look at the birth statistics at Aurora Midwifery you can see that this method of care is really effective! 0% of infant deaths and only a small 1.7% of 3-4 degree laceration/tears.
Aurora Midwifery | Meet the team
1. Tell me a little more about Aurora Midwifery
- We have been in business for about 1.5 years now (although Hamilton was working at Simon-Williamson Clinic at the hospital, and Birmingham Home Midwifery in practice prior to opening Aurora Midwifery)
2. What range of services do you provide?
- We provide prenatal care, birth at home, and postpartum care. We also provide alongside care services if you are too high risk for homebirth, but would still like the thorough and intimate care – in this scenario we offer to be your doula and offer labor support as well, then resume the normal (more extensive than hospital based) postpartum care for you and your newborn.
3. Tell me about your training background.
- For both Jasmine and I, we are advanced practice nurses – so we started out working as nurses then went back to get our Masters of Science in Nursing Midwifery to become Nurse-Midwives. That includes several years of school and clinicals, and lots of experience. We’ve both also had unmedicated births, which is such a beautiful teaching tool in being able to support birthing people in that environment as well. I started in labor and delivery, Jasmine in pediatric hematology oncology – both of which taught us the absolute necessity and respect for informed choice when we saw informed consent (or the lack thereof) being neglected so easily and learned to advocate for the clients we were taking care of. We’ve both worked in the hospital setting through training or employment as nurse-midwives, and now joyfully working in the homebirth world!
Part two about Aurora Midwifery coming soon! If you are interested in working with their team for your upcoming birth, you can contact Hamilton or Jasmine HERE.
If you are interested in finding out more about a maternity or newborn photography experience with me you can see details HERE or just reach out and I can tell you all about it! Contact form can be found below or HERE.
While you’re here you might also like reading these: